Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Isometric Map of an Early Medieval Palace


Potentially D&D-able. This is a visualization of an early medieval palatium/palace/Pfalz of Mieszko I (10th century ruler of Poland) located on Lednica Holm. Just found it on Polish Press Agency page, accompanying news about new archaeological excavations planned in the area. Such a building would typically contain a throne room, the ruler's chambers and a castle chapel. Not really what comes to mind when you think "palace", but quite common in early medieval period. 

2 comments:

  1. People forget how long the Middle Ages were. Early and late medieval structures were pretty different from each other. It's something people should keep in mind when coming up with a setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm aiming for mythic iron age vibe in my current campaign, so I'm always on the lookout for Migration Period/Early Medieval stuff I could use in my game.

      Delete